Listening Mothers ™ is a unique, research-based 8-week class designed for mothers and their babies (0-6mo), focusing on compassion, mindfulness-based stress reduction, and enhancing secure attachment between a mother and child.
We are inclusive, nonjudgmental and non-prescriptive. We believe that parents strive to do their very best and there is no single parenting style. Our goal is to grow self-reflection and awareness so parents make can make informed decisions that are the best fit for their family.
All mothers who are interested in living mindfully and with greater awareness are welcome.
Eight Week Series Offers:
- Mindfulness-based skills to help reduce stress and encourage balance
- An environment to discover your own inner wisdom
- Parent & child self-awareness with a focus on self-regulation, self-compassion and parent and child emotional development
- Emphasis on the importance of parent/child attachment
- Parental confidence and empowerment
- A community of like-minded parents who aspire to be the best parents they can be and are willing to embark on the parenting journey with an open mind, curiosity and willingness to explore.
- Better child/parent self-awareness
- Healthier parent/child attachment
- Parental confidence and empowerment
- Promotion of thoughtful, respectful, compassionate, and well-adjusted children and adults.
Week 1: Introduction to the four corners of the Listening Mothers™ curriculum; self-compassion, self-regulation, secure attachment and mindfulness.
Week 2: Discuss baby's emotional development, understand your child’s unique character, explore the demands of motherhood, learn ways to cope with different temperaments.
Week 3: Discuss the concept of ‘falling in love with baby’. Learn how babies communicate and explore the importance of secure attachment.
Week 4: Discuss role models, previous relationships and family experiences, talk about emotional development and practice skills to self-regulate.
Week 5: Discuss your own family and the influence on your parenting style. We will also explore the concept of love.
Weeks 6: Discuss the impact of baby on your relationship, practice listening and understand the importance of modeling intimacy.
Weeks 7: Evaluate the concept and importance of vulnerability, intimacy and gratitude. Discuss maintaining healthy communication. We will look at how mindfulness-based stress reduction skills help overcome hurdles in relationships.
Week 8: Discuss circle of security, separation and transition as your baby grows.
When – 8 Tuesdays from 12:45-2:15pm (*call to enquire about upcoming dates)
Where – Oaklands Community Centre at 2827 Belmont Ave (easy street parking available)
- note: for class offerings in the Tillicum & Gorge area, please contact Sarah Nakatsuka
Registration - please call or email to register $160 for 8 class series (includes GST)
*a scholarship may be available for those in need, please enquire.
Instructor - Stephanie Curran, Acupuncturist and Director of the Elements of Health Centre, is a long-time practitioner of meditation, teaches a variety of mindfulness calsses in our community, and she's is a mom. Click here to read more about Stephanie's training and background.
"…the challenge of being a parent is to live our moments as fully as possible, charting our own course as best we can, above all, nourishing our children, and in the process, growing ourselves."
~ Jon and Myla Kabat-Zinn, Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
A note of gratitude - I would like to acknowledge and give a deep bow with heartful thanks to Yaffa Maritz, for both her vision in creating the Listening Mothers program and her generosity with teaching and sharing materials. It is truly a pleasure and an honour to offer these classes in our community and it is my hope that the program will be of benefit to our families and children. For more infomation about Listening Mothers or the other programs offered by the Community of Mindful Parenting, visit www.communityofmindfulparenting.com