The Postpartum Mindfulness Group program is designed to help people who are struggling with anxiety, OCD, and depression after birthing or adopting their child (0-18mo old). It combines the ideas of mindfulness, self-compassion, and meditative practices.
The postpartum period is a particularly vulnerable time for both the development of and relapse in mood and anxiety disorders. However, many people feel very alone with their struggles as they feel they should be “enjoying every minute of being a parent.” This group will help build effective skills to manage this high-risk period. Additionally, participants often describe the participation in the group itself—learning that they are not alone in their struggles and building new supportive relationships with each other—to be the most helpful part of the group.
Participants will learn to:
- Step out of unhelpful thought patterns.
- Recognize and be more aware of potential relapse-related mind-body processes.
- Access new, more compassionate ways to relate to depression, anxiety and other aspects of experience.
- Turn towards, befriend, and engage with difficult and challenging experiences.
- Build the capacity to be present with and accepting of both one’s own and one’s child’s internal experiences.
- 90min weekly sessions
- 6 sessions total; closed group format
- Regular attendance and completion of short daily mindfulness home practice is essential
- Group size around 12 participants
- Babes in arms and precrawling infants are welcome to join. If you have older children, it is best to arrange care for them.
FALL 2023 (6 weeks) – registration now open
Mondays: Sept.25 – Oct.30 / 2:00-3:30pm *general postpartum cohort (note:4th class on Tues.Oct.10 in lieu of Thanksgiving)
Mondays: Nov.6 – Dec.11 / 2:00-3:30pm *postpartum with a Rainbow Baby (2nd or 3rd trimester loss)
Location: Online from the comfort of your home, via zoom.
Fee: Registration to this course is offered by sliding scale at the completion of the 6 week program. Please pay to the highest amount you are able to help support the sustainability of this offering.
Sliding scale: $150 (partial scholarship) / $250 (sustainable fee) / $350 (helps to support others utilizing scholarship)
*Full scholarships are available to anyone in need, please email the instructor Stephanie to inquire (email@example.com). All are welcome and no one will be turned away due to financial concerns.
Registration: Referral required. Please have your health care provider (GP, midwife, public health nurse, naturopath, counselor) complete the referral form below. Once received, you will be notified by email to confirm your registration.
Stephanie Curran, R.TCM.P, a practitioner of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, is a long time practitioner of meditation. She is a certified instructor of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and has completed teacher training in Mindfulness-Based Childbirth and Parenting, Listening Mothers, and Mindful Schools programming. As a parent, Stephanie is deeply moved and inspired to share the benefits of mindfulness with children and families. She leads a variety of courses for her community in Victoria and also offers programming online.